Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Raising the Flag, 1945 - The Marines

Photo credit: Joe Rosenthal 
This famous picture was taken on February 23, 1945, by Joe Rosenthal. I love this picture and how Joe Rosenthal photographed the reality of World War II. It hits close to home for me given the fact that my fiancé is a United States Marine and has fought in the Afghanistan War. The pride in america is seeping out of this photograph. This picture shows United States Marines and a U.S. Navy Corpsman raising the flag of the Untied States atop Mount Suribachi. This is today one of the best known War images ever made! 

2 comments:

  1. This was actually the second flag placed on Iwo Jima that day. The first one was considered too small and so a larger one was retrieved from one of the ships to replace it. Rosenthal was asked to follow along and photograph the erection of it, but he almost missed the shot when he stopped to look through his camera equipment. If you see the original, un-cropped version of the photo you can tell that it was taken in a hurry without consideration for composing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually read that after I posted this... I love reading about wars an mainly anything todo with the marine corps... So I did come across that information. Very cool though ad very interesting!

      Delete